RETROREFLECTIVITY OF PAVEMENT MARKINGS - AN ANALYTICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF MEASUREMENT INSTRUMENTS
This report reviews the state of the art and the practice of measurement of retroreflectivity of pavement parkings. A detailed examination of the design and function of the Mirolux-12, a hand held retroreflectometer, is presented. The causes of inconsistent readings with this instrument are discussed. A Retroreflectance Test Bench (RTB) was set up conforming to the International Commission on Illumination (CIE), to obtain near absolute values for retroreflectivity of pavement marking samples, under different sets of conditions. This test was also used to compare instrument readings. Retroreflectance measurements of some typical pavement marking samples were also made with three types of retroreflectometers -- the Mirolux-12, the Ecolux, and the Erichsen. The results obtained using the standard RTB set up and the various retroreflectometers are presented. Retroreflectance measurements were also performed on RTB using two type of laser -- a diode laser and a He-Ne laser, in addition to the measurements taken with a conventional halogen lamp as the light source. The results show a very good correlation between the mneasurements obtained from a laser light source and those from a conventional light source. The main recommendation of this study is to design and build a diode laser-based hand held retroreflectometer for measuring retroreflectivity of pavement markings.
- This study was conducted by the Ontario Laser and Lightwave Research Centre.
Ontario Ministry of TransportationResearch and Development Branch, 1201 Wilson Avenue
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3M 1J8
- Gu, X
- Hubert, M
- Publication Date: 1994-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Lasers; Light; Measuring instruments; Retroreflection; Retroreflectivity; Road markings
- Uncontrolled Terms: Light sources; Retroreflectometers
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00723603
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MAT-93-01
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 30 1996 12:00AM