TRANSPORTATION OF RURAL ELDERS AND ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE.
This study of the transportation needs of rural elders builds on past research and has three principal objectives: to describe the number and geographic distribution of rural elders in Iowa and how these are changing; to identify the need for transportation services among rural elders, particularly for health care, as a way to predict future need for transit services; and to determine the current transit use and transit needs of a representative sample of rural Iowa elders, age 75 and over, especially regarding travel for health care purposes. Particular attention is paid to differences in transportation need based on age (elders age 75 to 84 versus elders age 85 and over), gender, whether elders live alone, and their functional health status. Chapter 1 introduces the study. Chapter 2 outlines the data collection methods used to study the travel of rural elders and the effect of transportation on their access to health care. Chapter 3 describes travel patterns and changing demographics of rural elders in Iowa. Chapter 4 focuses specifically on the nature and extent of rural transit use by Iowans age 75 and over. In Chapter 5, the supply side of transit services is investigated through interviews with regional transit managers and Area Agency on Aging directors, while in Chapter 6, the use of health care services by rural elders and their travel to health care is reported. Chapter 7 discusses the study findings and the resulting policy implications for Iowa's regional transit systems and the Area Agencies on Aging regarding rural elders' access to transit services.
- Funding was provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation, University Transportation Centers Program; and Iowa Department of Transportation.
Midwest Transportation CenterIowa University, Public Policy Center, 227 South Quadrangle
Iowa City, IA United States 52242
- Damiano, P C
- Momany, E T
- Foster, NSJ
- McLeran, H E
- Publication Date: 1995-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Access; Age; Aged; Data collection; Demographics; Gender; Health care; Needs assessment; Public transit; Rural areas; Supply; Transportation; Transportation policy; Travel patterns; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transit services
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Subject Areas: Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00723564
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Revised Edition
- Contract Numbers: DTRS92-G-0007
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 2001 12:00AM