FIRE- AND SMOKE-RESISTANT INTERIOR MATERIALS FOR COMMERCIAL TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT
The Committee on Fire- and Smoke-Resistant Materials for Commercial Aircraft Interiors was established to provide guidance for the FAA mandate to conduct long-term investigations concerned with fire safety, including the fire resistance of cabin materials. The two principal objectives of the committee's task were: 1. to identify promising materials technologies, design issues, and fire performance parameters that, if properly optimized, would lead to improved fire and smoke resistance of materials and components used in aircraft interiors; and 2. to identify long-range research directions that hold the most promise for producing predictive modeling capability, new advanced materials, and the required product development to achieve totally fire-resistant interiors in future aircraft. The findings of the committee have been organized into five chapters, with relevant background information included in the appendices. Chapter 1 introduces the study task and report objectives. Chapter 2 describes the array of design criteria that influence the selection and use of aircraft interior materials. Chapter 3 focuses on the evaluation and prediction of how aircraft materials perform in fires. Chapter 4 addresses the goal of developing substantially improved fire-resistant materials. Chapter 5 presents the committee's conclusions and recommendations for long-term research in fire-resistant materials development.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309053897
- Committee on Fire- and Smoke-Resistant Materials for Commercial Aircraft Interiors, National Materials Advisory Board, Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems.
National Research Council2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft cabins; Appropriate technology; Chemical resistant materials; Civil aircraft; Design; Evaluation; Fire prevention; Fire resistant materials; Fires; Forecasting; Long range planning; Materials; Materials selection; Properties of materials; Research; Road materials; Safety; Smoke; Studies; Time duration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Interior; Long term
- Old TRIS Terms: Investigations; Smoke resistant materials
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Materials; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00723556
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309053897
- Report/Paper Numbers: Publication NMAB-477-1
- Contract Numbers: FAA-93-G-033
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 18 1996 12:00AM