THE ECONOMICS OF THE CONTAINER SHIP SUBSYSTEM
The effects of a container operation on a traditional steamship company are discussed, and the need for planning emphasized. The optimum container ship is defined, and the naval architects role in its determination is outlined. Two basic approaches to optimizing a system are described, and the limitations of each approach are stipulated. An algorithm which estimates both capital and operating costs for container ships is presented, together with relationships for capacities, weights, and dimensions. ( The computer program is appended. ) A typical algorithm output is presented, and its application to two basic types of optimization studies is described.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Miller, Dave S
- Publication Date: 1968-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- Issue Number: 003
- TRT Terms: Containerships; Economic analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00007315
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 22 1973 12:00AM