AMERICAN PUBLIC TRANSIT ASSOCIATION COMMUTER RAIL COMMITTEE NEW START HANDBOOK: TIPS AND RESOURCES FOR PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTING A SUCCESSFUL COMMUTER RAIL ENTERPRISE
Commuter rail is proving to be a popular, affordable and practical option for solving urban and regional congestion problems and meeting clean air mandates. The main factor giving commuter rail systems a competitive edge is the industry's dedication to continually improving customer service and employee motivation. This commuter rail New Starts Handbook compiles information from experts at the existing commuter rail properties and from professionals engaged in planning and implementing new and expanded systems in the United States and Canada. The information is organized to provide first an indication of where and why commuter rail can be the best alternative for serving markets for commuter transportation. Next, ideas on how to plan such systems are given. Lessons on implementation come next. Finally, suggestions are provided as to how to create the capacity for growth and build momentum for long term success. This handbook tries to anticipate the most important and/or frequently asked questions and to give tips on how to find the answers that are tailored to the specific needs of each locality.
American Public Transportation Association1201 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005
- Taube, R K
- Publication Date: 1996-3-21
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Handbooks; Implementation; Planning; Public transit; Railroad commuter service; Railroad transportation; Starting (Driving); Urban growth
- Uncontrolled Terms: Starting
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00723516
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 4 1996 12:00AM