VIEWS FROM THE ROAD. A COMMUNITY GUIDE FOR ASSESSING RURAL HISTORIC LANDSCAPES
This is a practical handbook to guide local land trusts, planning agencies, and other community organizations in preparing inventories of rural historic resources based on scenic roads. It provides a rational basis for land conservation efforts by integrating visual and aesthetic qualities of rural road corridors with the history of land use. The book focuses primarily on two case studies, one in Georgia and Florida and one in Kentucky, while presenting a grassroots methodology for: defining and determining visual resources; creating data inventories through collection techniques; conducting surveys to select, rank, and apply criteria for landscape classification; determining protection options; and formulating corridor management plans.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/155963412X
- A Project of the Trust for Public Land and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Island Press1718 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC United States 20009-1148
- Copps, D H
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 192 p.
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Classification; Conservation; Data collection; General surface features of the earth; Guides to information; Historic preservation; Historic sites; Inventory; Land use; Management; Planning; Rural highways; Scenic highways; Surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Landscape
- Old TRIS Terms: Guides; Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Environment; Freight Transportation; Highways; History; Planning and Forecasting; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00723490
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 155963412X
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM