A CENTURY OF SOIL MECHANICS. CLASSIC PAPERS ON MECHANICS PUBLISHED BY THE INSTITUTION OF CIVIL ENGINEERS 1844 - 1946
This book contains a selection of key papers published by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), London, which illustrate the development of the subject from the mid nineteenth century to the establishment of the principles of modern soil mechanics. Papers include: the actual lateral pressure of earthwork (Baker,B published 1881); on the horizontal thrust of a mass of sand (Darwin,GH, 1883); the lateral pressure and resistance of clay and the supporting power of clay foundations (Bell,AL, 1915); the shearing resistance of soils (Cooling,LF and Smith,DB 1935); soil mechanics - a new chapter in engineering science (Von Terzaghi,K 1939); the ultimate bearing pressure of rectangular footings (Golder,HQ 1941); a laboratory study of London clay (Cooling,LF et al 1942); soil mechanics and site exploration (Cooling,F 1942); the settlement of London clay due to underdrainage of the London clay (Wilson,G and Grace,H 1942); the basic principles of soil compaction and their application (Markwick,AHD 1945); earth pressure and earth resistance (Packshaw,S 1946). The book also contains a bibliography of papers published by the ICE between 1836 and 1948.
London, United Kingdom SW1P 3AA
- Publication Date: 1969
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 482 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Clay; Compaction; Earth pressure; Ground settlement; History; Soil mechanics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Active earth pressure; Site investigation
- ITRD Terms: 3085: Bearing capacity; 4177: Clay; 3686: Compaction; 5726: Earth pressure (active); 9096: History; 5792: Settlement; 5722: Site investigation; 5755: Soil mechanics
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; History;
- Accession Number: 00723015
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 26 1996 12:00AM