PRECURSOR SYSTEMS ANALYSES OF AUTOMATED HIGHWAY SYSTEMS. FINAL REPORT. VOLUME III: AHS ROADWAY ANALYSIS
The program described by this eight-volume report identified the issues and risks associated with the potential design, development, and operation of an Automated Highway System (AHS), a highway system that utilizes limited access roadways and provides "hands off" driving. The AHS effort was conducted by a team formed and directed by the Calspan Advanced Technology Center. Primary Team members included Calspan, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Dunn Engineering Associates, and Princeton University. Supporting members of the team were BMW, New York State Thruway Authority, New York State Department of Transportation, Massachusetts Department of Transportation, the New Jersey Department of Transportation, Boston Research, Vitro Corporation, and Michael P. Walsh of Walsh Associates. Calspan provided overall management and integration of the program and had lead responsibility for 5 of the 17 tasks. Parsons Brinckerhoff provided transportation planning and engineering expertise and had lead responsibility for 5 tasks. Dunn Engineering provided traffic engineering expertise and had lead responsibility on 2 tasks. Princeton supported the areas of transportation planning and automated control. The 17 task reports (A through P plus Representative Systems Configurations) are organized into 8 volumes. This volume, which describes roadway analyses, covers four tasks in three chapters.
- Calspan Corporation Program Manager: J.A. Elias.
Calspan Advanced Technology Center4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Publication Date: 1995-5
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated highway systems; Intelligent transportation systems; Systems analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Precursor systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00722558
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Resource Materials, FHWA-RD-95-121, Calspan Rept No. 8281-1
- Contract Numbers: DTFH61-93-C-00192
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 17 1996 12:00AM