PROBLEMS ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF SUPERCONDUCTING COILS IN A PASSENGER TRANSPORT SYSTEM
The aim of the paper is to offer a detailed review of the possibilities of repulsive magnetic suspensions, to define the requirements and constraints implied by the use of on-board superconducting coils on a transportation vehicle and mention a number of prospective applications. The advantages and disadvantages of magnetic suspension are weighted and it is questioned whether the operation at cryogenic temperatures of 4K with associated problems justifies investigation of transport application. In particular, it is argued that, for Western Europe and Eastern USA, distances between cities are too short to justify the use of high-speed magnetically suspended transport. On the other hand, in Western USA and in Japan (enormous traffic volumes and environmental considerations) such systems may be justified.
- Presented at the 5th Int Conf on Magnet Technol, Rome, Italy, Apr. 21-25, 1975.
Laboratorio Naz del Com Naz per l'Energ NuclFrascati, Italy
- Autruffe, H
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: p. 468-476
- TRT Terms: Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity transportation; Magnetic levitation; Passenger transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00136416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 3 1976 12:00AM