HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT: PROPANE TRUCK COLLISION WITH BRIDGE COLUMN AND FIRE, WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK, JULY 27, 1994
On July 27, 1994, a tractor cargo-tank semitrailer loaded with 9,200 gallons of propane (a liquefied petroleum gas) and traveling east on Interstate 287 in White Plains, New York, drifted across the left lane onto the left shoulder and struck the guardrail. The tank hit a column of the Grant Avenue overpass. The tractor and the semitrailer separated, and the front head of the tank fractured, releasing the propane, which vaporized into gas and ignited. The tank was propelled northward about 300 ft (91.4m), landing on a frame house and engulfing it in flames. The driver was killed, 23 people were injured, and an area with a radius of approximately 400 ft (121.9m) was engulfed by fire. The safety issues discussed in this report are truck driver fatigue, carrier's oversight of the driver's work/rest cycles, countermeasures for single-vehicle roadway departures, compatibility of highway design and the operating characteristics of heavy vehicles and bridge vulnerability, and cargo tank integrity. As a result of its investigation, the National Transportation Safety Board issued recommendations to the Federal Highway Administration, the Research and Special Programs Administration, the New York State Department of Transportation, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, the American Trucking Association, and Paraco Gas Corporation, Inc. The Safety Board also reiterated three recommendations to the Federal Highway Administration.
National Transportation Safety Board800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1995-11-14
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Countermeasures; Drivers; Fatalities; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Fires; Hazardous materials; Heavy vehicles; Injuries; Propane; Rest periods; Single vehicle crashes; Tanks (Containers); Tractor trailer combinations; Transportation; Truck drivers
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo tank integrity; Cargo tanks; Hazardous materials transportation
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General); I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00722079
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB/HAR-95/02,, Notation 6479A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1996 12:00AM