DIRECT OBSERVATION OF SAFETY BELT USE IN MICHIGAN: FALL 1995
Results of a direct observation survey of safety belt use in Michigan for fall of 1995 are reported. In the present survey, 9,867 occupants traveling in four vehicle types (passenger vehicles, sport-utility vehicles, vans, and pickup trucks) were surveyed between August 31 and September 19, 1995. Belt use was estimated separately for each vehicle type. Within each vehicle type, belt use by gender, age, road type, day of week, and time of day was estimated. Overall belt use for passenger vehicles was 66.8%, for sport-utility vehicles was 70.7%, for vans was 69.1%, and for pickup trucks was 29.3%. For all vehicle types, belt use was higher for females than for males, and was higher for the 0-3 year old age group than for any other age group, with the 16-29 year old age group most frequently showing the lowest belt use. In general, belt use was highest during morning rush hour and at interstate exit ramps. Belt use did not vary systematically by day of week or weather conditions.
- Sponsored by the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning, Lansing, Michigan, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute2901 Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109-2150
- Eby, D W
- Streff, F M
- Christoff, C
- Publication Date: 1995-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 49 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Automobiles by type; Classification; Data collection; Days; Field studies; Gender; Highways; Passenger vehicles; Periods of the day; Pickup trucks; Seat belts; Sport utility vehicles; Surveys; Vans; Weather conditions
- Non-Preferred Terms: Seat belt usage; Seatbelt usage; Seatbelt use
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway classification; Vehicle type
- Geographic Terms: Michigan
- Old TRIS Terms: Field observation
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00721513
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTRI-95-39, HS-041 989, Final Rept
- Contract Numbers: OP-95-04
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 23 1996 12:00AM