VISIBILITY ASPECTS OF THE DRIVING TASK: FORESIGHT IN DRIVING. A THEORETICAL NOTE
This report discusses several aspects of the driving task. It focuses on factors and measures for improving visual information, with emphasis on road lighting and road markings. The report concentrates on the need to look ahead while driving, with "foresight" being the term coined for this concept. The requirements for adequate foresight, as well as the means to provide the required foresight, are dealt with. Chapter 1 provides an introduction. Chapter 2 deals with a number of general aspects of the relevant decision-making processes. In Chapter 3, the particular driving task aspects of a car driver are discussed. In Chapter 4 different traffic maneuvers are described. In Chapter 5, the different visual elements for each of the maneuvers and each of the task elements are indicated. These are summarized in Chapter 6. The final chapter presents conclusions and recommendations.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- SCHREUDER, D A
- Publication Date: 1991
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Drivers; Maneuvering; Reaction time; Task analysis; Visibility; Visual perception
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00721494
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-91-71, HS-041 925
- Files: HSL, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1996 12:00AM