A REPORT ON VARIOUS ASPECTS OF THE BRAKING PERFORMANCE OF MEDIUM AND HEAVY TRUCKS. FINAL REPORT
This report was prepared by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), U.S. Department of Transportation, in response to Senate Report 102-148 to accompany H.R. 2942: Department of Transportation and Related Agencies Appropriations Bill, 1992. The report reviews and summarizes current research findings and other agency activities on a number of issues related to heavy vehicle braking performance and dynamic stability and control. Because a number of these topics are somewhat unrelated, each issue is covered separately. The report: Describes the key results and findings of the agency's two year in-service fleet evaluation of 200 antilock brake system (ABS) equipped heavy truck tractors; Compares the performance characteristics of 4 vs. 6 channel ABSs on 6x4 truck tractors; Describes how ABSs and retarders can be compatibly installed on heavy vehicles; Describes the stability enhancing capabilities of C-dollies when used in multiple trailer combination-unit trucks; Describes the effects of imbalances in cargo loading on heavy truck roll stability performance; Describes the role tire performance plays in overall heavy vehicle dynamic stability and control performance; and Outlines agency rulemaking and other activities on topics related to these issues.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1992-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Antilock brake systems; Antilock brake systems; Automated vehicle control; Braking performance; Dollies; Dynamic stability; Field studies; Heavy duty trucks; Heavy vehicles; Loading and unloading; Medium trucks; Motor vehicles; Performance; Regulation; Retarders (Concrete); Stability (Mechanics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Balancing; Performance characteristics
- Old TRIS Terms: Retarders; Rule making; Tire performance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00721337
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-807 910
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 2 1996 12:00AM