DECADE OF DEVELOPMENT--THE SR.N6 FAMILY OF HOVERCRAFT
The first SR.N5 hovercraft was launched in 1964, an event which signified the start of a development program already spanning a period of ten years and which seems likely to continue for several more yet. Within the first year the small 15 seat N5 had been transformed into the now familiar 38 seat SR.N6 and this craft was subsequently to become the workhorse in the hovercraft field. SR.N6 craft pioneered passenger services across the Solent and the Channel and have seen service in many parts of the world in a variety of both civil and military roles. As far as the future is concerned, the success of the more recent variants suggests that further developments are possible, for example by combining the features of the Mks 5 and 6. Other possible developments involve the widening of the center body and also the application of axial ducted fans as a means of reducing the noise level still further.
- International Hovering Craft, Hydrofoil and Advanced Transit System Conference, Brighton, Sussex, England, May 13-16, 1974.
Kalerghi Publications51 Welbeck Street
London W1, England
- Wheeler, R L
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: p. 345-364
- TRT Terms: Air cushion vehicles; Marine transit; Surface effect ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Air cushion technology; Hovercraft operations
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00135856
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1978 12:00AM