SLIPPERY, SALT ACROSS IT?
GLAD, ZOUT EROVER?
In this article a number of deicing agents used in winter maintenance are subjected to the following requirements: (a) effectiveness; (b) aspects related to use; and (c) environmental aspects. The following deicing agents are discussed: (1) sodium chloride; (2) calcium chloride; (3) magnesium chloride; (4) ethylene glycol; (5) calcium magnesium acetate (CMA); (6) sodium formate (salt from formic acid); and (7) urea. When investigating the effectiveness of deicing agents, the thaw effect, the lowering of the freezing point, the workability up to a certain temperature below zero, and the particle size distribution play a role. Aspects related to use are, that the agent may not be combustible, biting or corrosive, and that it must be easily manageable. As far as the environmental aspects are concerned, it appears that the damaging impact of the salts on the environment is very little. The conclusion is drawn that no ideal deicing agent exists. Considering all the deicing agents available, it appears that pure sodium chloride is the best alternative.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/09204148
SAMSOM H.D. TJEENK WILLINK BVP O BOX 316
ALPHEN AAN DEN RIJN, Netherlands 2400 AH
- LEEUW, K J
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: p. 259-60
- GEMEENTEREINIGING & AFVALMANAGEMENT
- Volume: 86
- Issue Number: 7/8
- Publisher: SAMSOM H.D. TJEENK WILLINK BV
- ISSN: 0920-4148
- TRT Terms: Calcium chloride; Deicing chemicals; Economic efficiency; Magnesium chloride; Materials; Pollution control; Sodium chloride; Thaw; Urea; Winter maintenance; Workability
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Non polluting materials; Particle size distribution
- ITRD Terms: 7315: Calcium chloride; 2598: Deicing; 5911: Efficiency; 7305: Magnesium chloride; 2426: Non polluting material; 6200: Particle size distribution; 7316: Sodium chloride; 2589: Thaw; 7335: Urea; 2593: Winter maintenance; 5941: Workability
- Subject Areas: Economics; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00719672
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: DIENST WEG- EN WATERBOUWKUNDE (DWW)
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Apr 26 1996 12:00AM