EFFECT OF DUST PALLIATIVES ON UNSEALED ROADS IN NEW ZEALAND
The results of a survey of recent literature on the topic of dust palliatives for unsealed roads are presented, and an investigatio described that was conducted during 1994, using a number of palliative products in road test sections constructed and monitor by the Far North District Council (FNDC) and the Western Bay of Plenty District Council (WBPDC), North Island, New Zealand. Both investigations trialled proprietary products, Weslig 120 and Borresperse CA, as well as bituminous emulsion. In addition, the WBPDC trial included a test section using waste oil. The test sections were monitored by photographing the dust plume generated a test vehicle trafficking each test section at regular intervals over a period of five to eight weeks. The results showed that wa oil was the most effective and economical dust palliative. The o palliatives appeared to be effective to varying degrees but only a relatively short duration. The economics of dust control depen the situation, eg, traffic type and frequency, aggregate type, ro maintenance practices, and cost of available palliatives. Use of waste oil could result in savings in annual maintenance costs of $360/km. Use of the other dust palliatives could involve increas to annual maintenance costs of around $800/km. The photographic monitoring technique provided reasonable results in the FNDC investigation. However some inconsistencies were identified in t WBPDC results.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/04780412
Transit New Zealand20-26 Ballance Street
Wellington, New Zealand
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRANSIT NEW ZEALAND RESEARCH REPORT
- Issue Number: 38
- Publisher: Transit New Zealand
- ISSN: 1170-9405
- TRT Terms: Base course (Pavements); Benefit cost analysis; Bitumen; Dust; Emulsions; Field tests; Oils; Photography; Prevention; Soil stabilization; Waste products
- Uncontrolled Terms: Low cost roads
- Geographic Terms: New Zealand
- ITRD Terms: 4963: Bitumen; 4993: Bitumen emulsion; 4563: By product; 226: Cost benefit analysis; 4572: Dust; 6226: In situ; 2986: Low cost road; 8079: New zealand; 4961: Oil; 6751: Photography; 9149: Prevention; 3688: Roadbase stabilization
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00717844
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISBN: 0-478-0412
- Files: ITRD, , ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 20 2004 12:00AM