THE EFFECTS OF LOADING MODE ON BENKELMAN BEAM DEFLECTION DATA AND BACK-CALCULATED ELASTIC LAYER MODULI
This paper examines the interaction between the Benkelman beam (BB) and deflection bowls produced by moving wheel loads, and assesses the suitability of BB deflection data for the purposes of back-analysis of layer moduli. BB deflection testing was conducted on a granular pavement with the Accelerated Loading Facility (ALF), which provided moving wheel loads in both loading-away and loading-towards directions relative to the beam position. For the pavement studied, it was possible to determine the true loading and rebound deflection bowl measured in the loading-away test was significantly affected by initial static wheel load, pavement creep and movements of the beam legs. Comparison of the loading and rebound deflection bowls, measured in both loading-towards and loading-away tests, indicated that the pavement behaved viscoelastically, or had behaviour resembling viscoelastic behaviour. Comparison of layer moduli back-calculated from the loading and rebound deflection bowls also indicated that the effects of loading mode on back-calculated layer moduli were very significant. Further BB deflection testing needs to be conducted with the standard BB truck loads on other pavement structures to obtain more evidence for the effects of pavement creep, movements of beam legs, and initial static loading on the measured BB rebound deflection data.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/26087078
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- VUONG, B
- Publication Date: 1995-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 62-75
- Road and Transport Research
- Volume: 4
- Issue Number: 2
- Publisher: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISSN: 1037-5783
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Benkelman beam; Creep; Data collection; Deflection; Experimental roads; Measuring instruments; Modulus of elasticity; Motion; Repeated loads; Testing equipment; Viscoelasticity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Accelerated
- ITRD Terms: 6155: Apparatus (measuring); 6105: Benkelman beam; 4732: Creep (mater); 8623: Data acquisition; 5586: Deflection; 6440: Error; 2778: Experimental road; 5919: Modulus of elasticity; 5483: Movement; 9064: Quick; 5588: Repetitive loading; 6247: Test rig; 5935: Viscoelasticity
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00717832
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Files: ITRD, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 20 1996 12:00AM