FEDERAL AIR QUALITY LAWS GOVERNING STATE AND REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
State highway departments and transportation agencies have a continuing need to keep abreast of operating practices and legal elements of specific problems in highway law. This report is a new paper, which continues NCHRP's policy of keeping departments up-to-date on laws that will affect their operations. This paper will be published in a future addendum to "Selected Studies in Highway Law" (SSHL). The author provides an overview of legal requirements, identifying key provisions of the Clean Air Act (CAA) and Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) that now govern state and regional transportation planning and their interrelationship. The reader should gain an understanding of the federal statutory framework and the regulatory requirements applicable to both state and regional transportation planning. This report should be useful to state transportation directors, attorneys, planners, environmental specialists, public information specialists, policy staff, and right-of-way officials. The report is organized as follows: (I) Introduction; (II) The Clean Air Act and the Requirement for State Implementation Plans; (III) Overview of the Transportation Planning Process; (IV) Conformity; (V) ISTEA Environmental Programs Relating to Air Quality; (VI) Conclusion; Endnotes; and Appendix A--Glossary of Acronyms.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://www.trb.org/Main/Public/Blurbs/154584.aspx
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1994-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- NCHRP Legal Research Digest
- Issue Number: 31
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Conformity; Highway law; Implementation; Improvements; Regional planning; Regional transportation; States; Transportation planning
- Identifier Terms: Clean Air Act; Clean Air Act Amendments; Clean Air Act of 1970; Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
- Uncontrolled Terms: Programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Clean air act amendments 1990; Regulatory requirements; State planning
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00716800
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Feb 6 1996 12:00AM