SOUTHWEST RAILWAY STEAMS AHEAD
Construction of the Nanning-Kunming Railway in mountainous Southwest China has progressed this year. The 900 km electrified rail line, which will run through the southwest provinces of Yunnan, Guizhou and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region to link Kunming with Nanning is expected to facilitate the social and economic development of the isolated southwest region which is rich in natural resources. More than 53,000 construction workers are working around the clock and the entire railway project is expected to be completed and open to traffic in 1997.
- This article was provided by Leonard Zhongcheng LIU, Professor and Contributing Correspondent.
N/A15 Huixin Dongjie, Chaoyang District
Beijing 100029, China
- Yang, Yang
- Publication Date: 1995-8-3
- Pagination: 1 p.
- CHINA DAILY
- Publisher: N/A
- TRT Terms: Construction projects; Economic development; Railroad electrification
- Geographic Terms: China
- Subject Areas: Construction; Economics; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00716733
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1996 12:00AM