BREAKAWAY CABLE TERMINALS FOR GUARDRAILS AND MEDIAN BARRIERS
The results are reported of component testing, analytical simulation, and full scale crash testing of breakaway cable terminal (BCT) for both guardrail (8x8-in timber posts set in concrete footings) and median (either steel or timber terminals) barriers. input from barriers. Input from barrier manufacurers was used to provide cost ideas and project costs of proposed BCT modifications. The program work plan included a modification whereby the vehicle terminal impact behavior would be mathematically simulated using the computer program BARRIER VII. Based on test results, modifications have been recommended related to slip-base steel posts, the cross-sectional dimensions, post spacing, the W-beam element, anchor, and diaphragms of guardrail terminals. Modifications were also introduced in the BCT recommended for use with median barriers. Overall, the BCTs for guardrail and median barriers will meet the service requirements and will perform satisfactorily for most vehicle impact conditions. Guardrail BCT designs are detailed which are recommended for trial use. This low-cost system ($300) provides the designer with a terminal that has been evaluated over a wide range of impact conditions. A slip-base breakaway steel post was developed and demonstrated to improve the dynamic performance. Details are also described of a median barrier system which may be used for in-service trial use. The median barrier BCT should cost between $2,000 and $2.500.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 84
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Breakaway supports; Cables; Computer programs; Crashes; Evaluation; Fracture mechanics; Guardrails; Impact tests; Median barriers; Posts; Simulation; Steel; Testing; Timers; Trials; Vehicles
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00135028
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM