AUTOMATED ON-BOARD NEXT STOP AND ROUTE IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM USING GPS TECHNOLOGY
Transportation regulations implementing the ADA specify that fixed route transportation providers shall announce transfer points, major intersections and destination points, and intervals along a bus route sufficient to permit individuals with visual impairments or other disabilities to be oriented to their location. The Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority (R-GRTA) and its operating subsidiary, Regional Transit Service, Inc. (RTS) teamed up with Luminator Company and local advocacy groups for the disability community to implement and test an automated on-board next stop and route identification system using Global Positioning technology. The system is intended to provide totally automated visual and audible announcements to waiting passengers identifying the route upon which the bus is operating.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- This report was developed with assistance derived from the Federal Transit Act, as amended, through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration and Project ACTION of the National Easter Seal Society.
Project ACTIONNational Easter Seal Soc, 1350 New York Ave, NW, Suite 915
Washington, DC United States 20005
Washington, DC United States 20590
Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation AuthRochester, NY United States 94115
- Publication Date: 1995
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Fixed routes; Global Positioning System; Hearing impaired persons; Onboard navigational aids; Passenger information systems; Persons with disabilities; Route guidance; Signals; Speech; Visually impaired persons; Voice communication
- Old TRIS Terms: Disabled people; On board; Visual signals
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00719169
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FTA-TRI-30-95-2
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1996 12:00AM