REALLY A COMMERCIAL NECESSITY?
For several years, the worldwide development of container ships has undergone a fast, dynamic upward trend. The cause is the continuing growth in container traffic streams which have expanded by an average of 6.5% annually in the last ten years. To determine whether jumbo containerships are really a commercial necessity, the transport chain must be regarded as a total entity. This means all effects of large container ships on costs and other important impacts on liner service operations generally must be examined. Only then, case by case, can it be decided whether the use of post-panamax ships is justified. It is not enough to show economy of scale alone.
- Schiff & Hafen, v 47 n 10, Oct 1995, p 52 [5 p, 5 ref, 4 tab, 1 fig]
- Poehls, H
- Publication Date: 1995
- TRT Terms: Containerships; Economies of scale
- Uncontrolled Terms: Large ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Containerized shipping
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00718471
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Maritime Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 27 1996 12:00AM