WINTER NAVIGATION ON THE GREAT LAKES: A REVIEW OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
In 1970, Congress authorized a three-part Great Lakes-St.Lawrence Seaway Navigation Season Extension Program. It authorized a winter navigation demonstration program, a detailed survey study of season extension feasibility and a study of insurance rates for shippers. This report provides a review of numerous environmental and engineering studies conducted as part of the demonstration and feasibility portions of the program, as well as many environmental studies conducted after the completion of the original program. Topics include sediment transport, shoreline erosion, shore structure damage, oil and hazardous substance spills, biological effects, ship-induced vibrations and ice control systems.
- Record URL:
Hanover, NH United States 03755-1290
- Wuebben, J L
- Publication Date: 1995-5
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental policy; Insurance rates; Navigation; Winter
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00720978
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRREL-95-10
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: May 23 1996 12:00AM