ADVANCED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS/APTS BENEFITS
This paper lists the benefits that transit systems in the United States and Canada have accrued in deploying various APTS technologies. The benefits that the transit industry has received by adoption of advanced technologies in transit operations are presented in terms of customer convenience, safety, operational improvements, cost savings, revenue increases, and complaint resolution. The APTS program is the FTA's transit component of the US DOT's Intelligent Transportation Systems/ITS program which has been initiated to promote the more efficient use of the Nation's surface transportation system, increase safety and mobility, and decrease the environmental cost of travel. Basically, the APTS program uses the application of computer technology and state-of-the-art telecommunications and navigation technology to improve the convenience, efficiency, and safety of public transportation, and to provide timely transit information to transit passengers.
- Record URL:
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1996-1
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Advanced public transportation systems; Economic efficiency; Ground transportation; Intelligent transportation systems; Mobility; Safety; Technological innovations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00720362
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 18 1996 12:00AM