LABORATORY TESTS OF THE PERFORMANCE OF HIGHWAY DE-ICING CHEMICALS AND WINTER SAND ON COMPACTED SNOW AND ICE
This project investigated the following issues related to snow and ice control on highways: the performance of sands for traction enhancement; the performance of salt and sand/salt mixtures; the effect of pre-wetting on the reaction time of salt and its retention on the road surface in windy conditions; and the effect of pre-wetting on the retention of sand on the road surface in windy conditions. Study methods included a literature review and tests of four sands over a range of application rates, temperatures, and types of surfaces. This report presents the results of these tests, including friction factors observed and degree of retention of sand.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/1895925428
Ontario Ministry of Transportation1201 Wilson Avenue
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3M 1J8
- Comfort, G
- Publication Date: 1994
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Deicing chemicals; Friction factor; Sanding; Snow and ice control; Traction; Wetting; Winter maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Prewetting
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00720337
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 1895925428
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 8 1996 12:00AM