URBAN ROADWAY CONGESTION - 1982 TO 1992. VOLUME 1: ANNUAL REPORT. INTERIM REPORT
This research report represents the seventh year of a ten-year research effort focused on quantifying urban mobility. This study contains the facility information for 50 urban areas throughout the country. The database used for this research contains information on vehicle travel, system length, and urban area characteristics from 1982 to 1992. Various federal, state, and local agencies provided the information used to update and verify the primary database. The primary database and original source of most of the information is the Federal Highway Administration's Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS). Vehicle travel and system length data were combined to develop Roadway Congestion Index (RCI) values for 50 urban areas including the seven largest in Texas. The RCI values provide an indicator of the relative mobility level within an urban area. An analysis of the cost of congestion was also performed using travel delay and increased fuel consumption as estimated quantities. The impact of congestion was also estimated by the amount of additional facility capacity required to provide urban mobility. Congestion costs were estimated on an areawide, per registered vehicle, and per capita basis.
- Research study title: Measuring and Monitoring Urban Mobility in Texas.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Schrank, D L
- Turner, S M
- Lomax, T J
- Publication Date: 1995-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 92 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Fuel consumption; Mobility; Traffic congestion; Traffic delays; Trend (Statistics); Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway performance monitoring system; Roadway congestion index
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00720296
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-95/1131-7 Vol 1, Res Rept 1131-7 Vol 1, TTI: 0-1131
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1131
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 26 1996 12:00AM