ASSESSMENT OF CONGESTION PRICING FOR REDUCING URBAN CONGESTION AND IMPROVING AIR QUALITY. FINAL REPORT
The principal goal of this study is to provide Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) engineers and officials with information and approaches that would assist in: 1) determining the potential of road pricing for urban congestion control, air quality enhancement, and revenue generation in Texas; and 2) developing a strategy for possible implementation of road pricing in Texas. Previous experience with congestion pricing in the U.S. and overseas is reviewed, revealing successful aspects as well as areas of concern. An integrated methodology for the evaluation of the networkwide traffic and air quality impacts of particular pricing schemes is developed. It is based on the DYNASMART dynamic simulation-assignment framework, expanded to incorporate specific user responses to pricing. An extensive stated preference survey of residents of Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and San Antonio is also conducted, indicating generally negative public attitudes towards pricing.
- Research study title: Use of Congestion Pricing for Reducing Urban Congestion as a Revenue Source and Compliance with the Clean Air Act.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Acha-Daza, J
- Moore, R
- Mahmassani, H S
- Publication Date: 1995-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 223 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Attitudes; Congestion pricing; Data collection; Impact studies; Revenues; Road pricing; Strategic planning; Surveys; Traffic congestion
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reduction (Decrease)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00720276
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-95-1321-1F, Res Rept 1321-1F, CTR 0-1321-1F
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1321
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 24 1996 12:00AM