INTERACTIVE TRAVEL INFORMATION SYSTEM. FINAL REPORT
More than 15% of the traveling public stops at Travel Information Centers throughout Minnesota, and recent studies project continued growth in that number. By providing information centers at most of Minnesota's Class I Rest Areas, state agencies could reach more than two million customers. Increased collaboration among state agencies can help in effectively and efficiently meeting this growing need. In May 1993, representatives of the Minnesota Department of Trade and Economic Development (DTED) and the Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) met to identify such opportunities for collaboration. As a result, the two agencies, with funding from the Breakthrough Innovations Program, guided the development of a touch screen information system that supplies a variety of information, including major attractions, state parks and forests, outdoor activities, calendar of events, accommodations and camping, road information, weather, mapping, and safety and regional services. Three units, known as Travel Partners kiosks, began operating on a test basis in 1994. The project improved the delivery of information to customers, and also opened the door to future collaborations. The report details the project's history, results, and future efforts.
- Prepared for Minnesota Travel Partners, an interagency collaboration of the Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota Department of Trade and Economic Development, Office of Tourism.
St Paul, MN United States 55155
- Ebensteiner, M J
- Publication Date: 1995-11
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Cooperation; Development; Information services; Kiosks; Passenger information systems; Roadside rest areas; State government agencies; Tourism; Traveler information and communication systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Touchscreen displays
- Geographic Terms: Minnesota
- Old TRIS Terms: Information centers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00720174
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MN/PR-95/30
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1996 12:00AM