SPECIAL NOISE BARRIER APPLICATIONS: PHASE III. FINAL TECHNICAL REPORT. APPENDICES A - F
This report presents the results of an acoustical scale modeling research effort in which the performance of special noise barrier shapes is compared to the performance of conventional noise barriers. This effort is a follow-up to previous work (Phases I and II) in which various barrier shapes were examined for increased performance and cost-saving potential. The results of this study provide generally good agreement with the results predicted by the Phase II project. While not exactly reproducing the theoretical performance of the special barrier shapes, this scale modeling effort has demonstrated that an increase in performance can be expected by implementation of these special barrier shapes. The report concludes that while these special barrier shapes did not provide the magnitude of insertion loss expected, the results do indicate an increased barrier performance using them. A recommendation for implementation of the special noise barrier shapes on specific actual projects is then made. This part of the Phase III report contains the following Appendices: (A) Data Files-Conventional Barrier Tests; (B) Data Files-Absorptive T-top Barrier Tests; (C) Data Files-Single-wall Absorptive Barrier Tests; (D) Scale Model Equipment, Scale Model Materials, Model Construction and Testing Procedure; (E) Literature Review; and (F) Phase III Project Photographs.
- Record URL:
- See also the Phase I report (TRIS 628804) and Phase II report (TRIS 681894).
University of LouisvilleDepartment of Civil Engineering
Louisville, KY United States 40292
Washington State Department of TransportationTransportation Building, 310 Maple Park Avenue SE, P.O. Box 47300
Olympia, WA United States 98504-7300
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cohn, L F
- Harris, R A
- Publication Date: 1996-1-31
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 159 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Applications; Data files; Equipment tests; Guides to the literature; Literature reviews; Noise barriers; Performance evaluations; Photographs; Recommendations; Scale models; Shape; Test procedures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Insertion loss
- Old TRIS Terms: Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Environment; Highways; Research; I20: Design and Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00720107
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: WA-RD 378.4
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 9 1996 12:00AM