National Transportation Statistics: 1996
National Transportation Statistics is a compendium of selected national transportation and transportation-related statistics from a wide variety of government and private sources. The data illustrate transportation activity for the major transportation modes - air, automobile, bus, truck, transit, rail, water, and pipeline. Basic descriptors such as operating revenues/expenses, number of vehicles and employees, vehicle- and passenger-miles, and passenger and freight operations, are included. The sections under "The State of Transportation" identify trends in transportation performance and safety. The sections under "Transportation and its Costs" illustrate the interrelationship between transportation and the economy. Transportation and energy consumption, intensiveness, transport, and supply and demand, as well as the effect transportation has on the environment, are shown in the sections under "Transportation, Energy, and the Environment". Additionally, selected preliminary statistics from the 1993 Commodity Flow Survey are presented under "Transportation - Special Focus". Summary statistics, in five year increments, are provided for the years 1960-1993 and for 1994, where available. In some instances, data extend back to 1955 and are forecast through 1998.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Washington, D.C.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Gross, M
- Feldman, R N
- Publication Date: 1995-11
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 370 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Bus transportation; Commodity flow; Economic factors; Employees; Energy; Environmental impacts; Environmental quality; Freight handling; Highway transportation; Operating costs; Operating revenues; Passenger miles; Passengers; Performance; Pipeline transportation; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Statistics; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation safety; Trend (Statistics); Trucking; Vehicle miles of travel; Vehicles; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Economy
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight operations; Passenger operations; Transportation statistics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Energy; Environment; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00720093
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-BTS-VNTSC-95-4
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1996 12:00AM