LOCOMOTIVE CRASHWORTHINESS RESEARCH. FINAL REPORT. VOLUME 3: REVIEW AND DISCUSSION OF FREIGHT LOCOMOTIVE CRASHWORTHINESS CONCEPTS
The results of the study, summarized in this report, suggest that a cost-effective improvement in locomotive crashworthiness is feasible, at least for a few of the features. In particular, a performance specification that requires ductile collision posts with greater strength appears to yield the clearest practical benefit. A crash refuge that is relatively simple to enter and provides a direct means of "riding down" a collision also has merit. Finally, an improvement in the penetration resistance of glazing and the continued use of some other features related to openings in the cab appear to have utility, although confirmation through a review of accident statistics is warranted to show benefit.
- Record URL:
- See also Executive Summary (PB95-271722); Volume 1: Model Development and Validation (PB95-271730); Volume 2: Design Concept Generation and Evaluation (PB95-271748); and Volume 4: Additional Freight Locomotive Calculations (PB95-271763). Sponsored by the Arthur D. Little Foundation, Cambridge, MA, and the Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Mayville, R A
- Stringfellow, R G
- Rancatore, R J
- Hosmer, T P
- Publication Date: 1995-7
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Dynamic structural analysis; Freight trains; Improvements; Locomotives; Railroad trains; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Simulation; Survival
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety features
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive cab safety
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00720057
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-VNTSC-FRA-95-4.3, DOT/FRA/ORD-95/08.3
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 4 1996 12:00AM