LOCOMOTIVE CRASHWORTHINESS RESEARCH. FINAL REPORT. VOLUME 1: MODEL DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION
The model developed to simulate the head-on collision of two lead locomotives, each in a multi-locomotive, multi-trailing-vehicle train, appears to provide a good simulation of the resulting extent of override and crush in the lead locomotives. Results of this study show that trailing vehicles (nonlocomotives) and the effects of derailment need not be modeled to predict the crush response of the lead locomotives. Comparison of the model predictions to observations for three accidents described in Federal Railroad Administration reports are all in good agreement. Although the model has been validated for closing speeds up to 43 mph, we believe that it can provide useful results on lead locomotive crush response for higher speeds.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- See also Executive Summary (PB95-271722); Volume 2: Design Concept Generation and Evaluation (PB95-271748); Volume 3: Review and Discussion of Freight Locomotive Crashworthiness Concepts (PB95-271755); and Volume 4: Additional Freight Locomotive Calculations (PB95-271763). Sponsored by the Arthur D. Little Foundation, Cambridge, MA, and the Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Mayville, R A
- Stringfellow, R G
- Rancatore, R J
- Hosmer, T P
- Publication Date: 1995-7
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Crash data; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Dynamic structural analysis; Forecasting; Freight trains; Frontal crashes; Impact; Locomotives; Railroad trains; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Simulation; Speed; Survival
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact speed
- Old TRIS Terms: Crush response; Locomotive cab safety
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00720055
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-VNTSC-FRA-95-4.1, DOT/FRA/ORD-95/08.1
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 4 1996 12:00AM