FOR MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS. AT A GLANCE GUIDE TO THE CURRENT MEDICAL STANDARDS OF FITNESS TO DRIVE
The booklet deals with medical standards for the driving of cars and motor cycles (Group I), large lorries and buses (Group II). Recent changes in legislation and advances in medical assessment are taken into account to ensure public safety and enable drivers with medical disabilities to know when they should stop driving. Tables set out current UK regulations and national recommended guidelines for both Groups I and II entitlement. The advice covers neurological, neurosurgical and cardiovascular disorders. Recommended guidelines are included for persons suffering with diabetes and psychiatric, respiratory and renal disorders. Advice is given on alcohol and illicit drug misuse and dependency. Guidance is given on the assessment of vision effectiveness and other conditions such as those suffering from the AIDS syndrome, elderly drivers and those of short stature. Advice is given on a practical driving assessment for disabled drivers. Disabled drivers' assessment centres are also listed.
MEDICAL ADVISORY BRANCH, DVLALONGVIEW ROAD
MORRISTON, SWANSEA United Kingdom SA99 1TU
- Publication Date: 1994
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Diseases and medical conditions; Driver licenses; Drivers; Driving; Fitness to drive; Health; Persons with disabilities; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Guidance
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 8513: Classification; 1726: Disabled person; 1855: Driving (veh); 2226: Driving aptitude; 1550: Driving licence; 9104: Guidance; 2144: Health; 2134: Illness; 2154: Medical aspects; 177: Specifications; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00719963
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Research Board
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Apr 26 1996 12:00AM