REGULATORY ASSESSMENT OF SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING ON STRUCTURAL MEASURES FOR EXISTING SINGLE-HULL TANKERS; FINAL REPT
This Regulatory Assessment (RA) examines certain alternative pollution prevention measures on a selected range of existing single-hull tank vessel categories. First, a screening analysis was conducted to evaluate the impacts of certain structural measures on a selected number of baseline analytical tank vessel models. The screening analysis included an estimation of onetime expenses associated with refitting the vessel at a shipyard, the cost of losing cargo carrying capacity due to the implementation of a measure that would not allow cargo carriage in certain tanks or above certain levels, and other costs such as loss of revenue during the shipyard period. Second, a detailed analysis was conducted to estimate the costs and benifits of those measures which were deemed the most effective at reducing oil outflow on the affected existing single-hull tank vessel fleet. The detailed analysis included a breakdown of costs and benefits, and included a cost-benefit analysis over the potential 19-year period that this regulation would be in effect.
- Sponsored by Coast Guard, Washington, DC. Office of the Commandant.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Coast Guard Office of the Commandant.Washington, DC United States
- Publication Date: 1995-7
- Pagination: 179 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Hulls; Naval architecture; Oil spills; Operating costs; Regulation; Regulations; Retrofitting; Ship structural components; Tankers; Water quality management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship hulls
- Old TRIS Terms: Capitalized costs; Outflow; Rule making; Water pollution abatement
- Subject Areas: Finance; Law; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00719552
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: USCG-EVH-RA-001; USCG-CGD-91-045
- Contract Numbers: DTRS-57-93-D-00098
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1996 12:00AM