RESEARCH ON VEHICLE-BASED DRIVER STATUS/PERFORMANCE MONITORING: SEVENTH SEMI-ANNUAL RESEARCH REPORT
This report describes new findings supplementing previous project reports on driving simulation studies to develop detection algorithms and effective advisory, alarm, and alerting stimuli for a vehicle-based drowsy driver detection/warning system. Part I describes attempts to further optimize previously-reported driver drowsiness detection algorithms by the use of time-on-task variables, assessment of the predictive power of algorithms, use of prior time segment data along with current data, and "cropping" of outliers to minimize their possible spurious effects. Part II reports an experimental study to identify effective advisory, alarm, and alertness-maintaining stimuli to be used in a drowsy driver detection system. A three-stage system is conceptualized: monitoring/detection, advisory/alarm, and alertness maintenance. Various advisory, alarm, and alertness-maintaining stimuli were tested to determine optimal stimuli to be used in a vehicle-based drowsy driver detection/warning system.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Office of Crash Avoidance Research, Washington, D.C.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, BlacksburgDepartment of Agronomy
Blacksburg, VA United States 24061
- Fairbanks, R J
- Fahey, S E
- Wierwille, W W
- Publication Date: 1995-6-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Alarm systems; Alertness; Algorithms; Crash avoidance systems; Detectors; Driver information systems; Driver performance; Drivers; Drowsiness; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Monitoring; Personnel performance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00719537
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 299, VPISU-ISE-95-06
- Contract Numbers: DTNH22-91-Y-07266
- Files: HSL, NTL, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1996 12:00AM