EVALUATION OF HUNTER HEAVY DUTY PLATE BRAKE TESTER. INTERIM FINAL REPORT
Inspections of heavy vehicle braking systems have traditionally been performed by visual inspection of the brake components and their operation, which can be difficult and unsafe for the inspectors. To simplify this process, devices have been developed to measure certain characteristics of the brake system in order to indicate the status of the brake system. One such device is a set of brake plates manufactured by Hunter Engineering Company. A set of Hunter brake inspection plates was evaluated to ensure that the results produced were meaningful and had some correlation with vehicle braking performance. The evaluation consisted of comparisons of brake forces measured on the Hunter brake inspection plates to those measured with an in-ground roller brake tester. Comparisons were also made with vehicle stopping distance measurements. These comparisons were made with the brakes fully adjusted and at various levels of misadjustment.
East Liberty, OH United States 43319
- Flick, M A
- Publication Date: 1995-2
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Brakes; Heavy vehicles; Inspection; Performance evaluations; Stopping distances; Trucks; Vehicle tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Brake inspection; Brake tests; Plate brake testers; Roller brake testers; Truck brakes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00719530
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 275, VRTC-82-0264
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 28 1996 12:00AM