EMS SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT: RESULTS OF THE STATEWIDE EMS ASSESSMENT PROGRAM. DECEMBER 1988 TO SEPTEMBER 1994. INTERIM REPORT
The Division of Emergency Medical Services, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), has developed the Technical Assessment (TA) Program as a tool for States and communities to assess the effectiveness of their Emergency Medical Services (EMS) programs. Between February 1988 and September 1994, 40 states, 2 territories and the Indian Health Service participated in the technical assessment process. This report provides a summary of information gathered during the statewide assessments, and documents the impact of the TA program on the states' ability to improve EMS systems. Collated data from a retrospective review of forty state assessment reports now represent a composite of the status of EMS in those states that have been reviewed. As an objective measure of the usefulness of the TA process, outcome information was also solicited from each state. Extremely recent changes or improvements that have occurred subsequent to the TA process may not be entirely reflected in this report. This report presents the program background, an overview of the TA process and a discussion of the EMS assessment program evaluation. Aggregate assessment findings are presented and the primary accomplishments of the states in response to the TA process are summarized. Since the TA teams evaluate each state using ten standard components, summaries of the findings, recommendations and ensuing improvements are also provided by discrete component category.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1995-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Emergency medical services; Improvements; Measures of effectiveness; Recommendations; States; Technology assessment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Old TRIS Terms: Technical assessment
- Subject Areas: Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00719526
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 271
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 28 1996 12:00AM