DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF A PEDESTRIAN SAFETY TRAINING PROGRAM FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BUS RIDERS. FINAL REPORT
The objective of this study was to develop and evaluate a comprehensive pedestrian safety program for elementary (kindergarten through grade 6) school bus riders. Existing materials, crash data and state laws/regulations on school bus pedestrian safety were reviewed, and a list of 113 behaviors to be included in the program was developed. The major behavioral categories were: getting ready for school, walking to/from the bus stop, waiting at the bus stop, crossing to the bus, boarding the bus, riding the bus, exiting/crossing from the bus and evacuating the bus. The resultant program contains materials for teachers, parents and bus drivers. They include separate "Teacher's Guides" for each of the seven grade levels. Incorporated in the program for children are two previously produced NHTSA videos: "Stop and Look with Willy Whistle" and "Walking with Your Eyes" and one newly developed video titled "Willy Whistle Rides the School Bus". A course poster completes the classroom materials. Parent materials include a video titled "School Bus Safety Starts at Home" and a brochure titled "Reminder to Parents...School Bus Safety Starts at Home". Bus driver materials include a video titled "When They're Not on the Bus" and a brochure titled "They're Pedestrians When They're Not on the Bus". Two promotional pieces (a flyer and an 8-page brochure) were prepared to assist NHTSA in marketing the program. All student materials were evaluated in the East Ramapo Central School District, Spring Valley, New York, using a pre-post design with a comparison site. Statistically significant improvements were achieved in critical knowledge and skills as a result of student participation in the program.
- Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C.
Dunlap and Associates, Incorporated1010 Summer Street
Stamford, CT United States 06905-5503
- CLEVEN, A M
- Blomberg, R D
- Publication Date: 1994-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Children; Measures of effectiveness; Pedestrian safety; Safety education; Safety programs; School bus passengers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Child safety; Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00719523
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 267, DA94-1 (631)
- Contract Numbers: DTNH22-92-C-05316
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 28 1996 12:00AM