RESTRAINT SYSTEM USE IN 19 U.S. CITIES. 1990 ANNUAL REPORT
This study continued to monitor the use of occupant restraint systems and motorcycle/moped helmet use in 19 U.S. cities during 1990. A total of 84,022 observations of automobile drivers indicated an overall driver safety belt use rate of 49.0%. The driver safety belt use rate in areas that have mandatory use laws was 61.8% for female drivers and 48.0% for male drivers. Whereas in areas with no use laws, driver safety belt use rate was 42.8% for female drivers and 30.0% for male drivers. The passenger observation indicated that 68.2% of the infants, 74.5% of the toddlers, 51.2% of the subteens, 26.0% of the teens and 43.7% of the adults were restrained. Child safety seats were observed being used for 82.6% of the infant and 84.7% of the toddler passengers. Correct toddler safety seat installation was recorded at a rate of 85.2%. In areas with motorcycle helmet use laws 96.4% of the operators and 94.4% of the passengers used helmets. Helmet use in areas with no helmet use laws was 37.0% for operators and 31.7% for passengers. Automobiles equipped with automatic belt systems had an overall driver belt use rate of 78.8%. The motorized shoulder belt system that could not be disconnected displayed the highest use rate of 97.2%. The lowest automatic system use rate of 64.9% was observed from the 3-point nonmotorized system.
- Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C.
Goodell-Grivas Incorporated17320 West Eight Mile Road
Southfield, MI United States 48075
- Datta, T K
- Guzek, P
- Publication Date: 1991-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Adults; Automatic seat belts; Child restraint systems; Drivers; Females; Helmets; Infants; Laws; Males; Manual safety belts; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Passengers; Restraint systems; Seat belts; Utilization
- Non-Preferred Terms: Seat belt usage; Seatbelt usage; Seatbelt use
- Uncontrolled Terms: Misuse
- Old TRIS Terms: Female drivers; Male drivers; Motorcycle passengers; Passenger restraints
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Passenger Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00719498
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 147
- Contract Numbers: DTNH22-89-C-07034
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1996 12:00AM