INTEGRATING MOTORCYCLE RIDER EDUCATION AND LICENSING. GUIDELINES FOR MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATORS
This manual begins with a discussion of issues that must be considered by any jurisdiction contemplating the integration of motorcycle education and licensing programs. These issues include: the purpose of rider education and rider licensing, current practices regarding rider education and licensing in the United States, the rationale for an integrated rider education and licensing system, the liabilities of an integrated system, and responsibility for such a system. The remainder of the manual describes a recommended program for integrating motorcycle rider education and licensing. This program was developed by delegates at a Workshop held in Lincoln, Nebraska from March 22 to 24, 1992, and is modelled on the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators Commercial Driver License Third Party Testing Program. This approach ensured consistency across relatively similar programs and facilitated the drafting of text for legal agreements, regulations and legislation, given that these critical elements were already available in the Commercial Third Party Testing Program. Thus, the text used in the present manual to describe the program for integrating rider education and licensing is cast in a similar legal, technical language. The description of the recommended program includes guidelines for selecting agencies to deliver the integrated program and administer the licensing test. It outlines the model program requirements, including audit and inspection information, and provides an example of a model agreement between the licensing authority and the rider education and license testing agency.
- Prepared in cooperation with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1993-8
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Driver licensing; Driver training; Guidelines; Integrated systems; Legal factors; Local government agencies; Manuals; Motorcycling; Motorcyclists; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Agreements; Integration; Local agencies; Requirements
- Old TRIS Terms: Motorcycle operator education; Motorcycle operator licensing
- Subject Areas: Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00719484
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-807 998
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1996 12:00AM