EXAMINATION OF LANE CHANGE CRASHES AND POTENTIAL IVHS COUNTERMEASURES. FINAL REPORT
This report provides an analysis of lane change crashes to guide the development of Intelligent Vehicle Highway System (IVHS) crash avoidance systems. It introduces the problem of lane change crashes: A lane change crash occurs when a driver attempts to change lanes and strikes or is struck by a vehicle in the adjacent lane. Two crash subtypes are identified and causal factors that contribute to lane change crashes are assessed clinically from a sample of lane change crash cases. From these data, functional goals for IVHS lane change crash avoidance systems are described. A simple kinematic model of normal lane change and evasive steering maneuvers introduces key pre-crash variables and outlines the space of time and distance available for crash avoidance from a kinematic perspective, concluding with a discussion of key research needed to extend the analysis presented.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. Included with the report is a diskette of the kinematic models developed for this crash type and files for data tables used in generating data plots contained in the report. The file README.TXT is an ASCII file that describes the program and data files on this diskette.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Chovan, J D
- Tijerina, L
- Alexander, G
- Hendricks, D L
- Publication Date: 1994-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Countermeasures; Crash avoidance systems; Future; Intelligent transportation systems; Kinematics; Lane changing; Research; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Future research
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I80: Accident Studies;
- Accession Number: 00719458
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 071, DOT-VNTSC-NHTSA-93-2
- Contract Numbers: HS421/S4007
- Files: HSL, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 21 2001 12:00AM