REPORT ON PROGRAMMATIC EVALUATION AT THE HUMAN FACTORS RESEARCH LABORATORY
This report summarizes human factor research for Intelligent Vehicle Highway/Intelligent Transportation Systems (IVHS/ITS) projects and focuses on the following five tasks: the comparative evaluation of ITS in-vehicle information prototypes. This experiment compares drivers' reaction to the use of three forms of in-vehicle information systems in driving simulations: the Delco prototype, the Volvo Dynaguide prototype, and a procedure that presented a voice generation information system. It includes recommendations for in-vehicle device designs; the evaluation of driver response to an in-vehicle ITS technology. This experiment evaluated drivers' responses to information presented on an in-vehicle ITS; geographic databases for ITS management. This work extends the concept of relational databases to model traffic information in an approach that uses abstract data types and triggers; the improvement of simulation facilities. This task describes the acquisition and installation of equipment and software to improve simulation capabilities at the Human Factors Research Laboratory and its impact on research efforts: in-vehicle collision warning systems for ITS. This experiment examined the effects of presenting warnings of vehicle proximity on turn decisions.
- Sponsored by Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, Office of Research Administration.
University of Minnesota, MinneapolisHumanFIRST Program, 111 Church Street, SE
Minneapolis, MN United States 55455
- Hancock, P A
- Shekhar, S
- Publication Date: 1995-3
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Areas; Crash avoidance systems; Driver information systems; Driving simulators; Geographic information systems; Human factors engineering; Intelligent transportation systems; Proximity detectors; Route guidance
- Old TRIS Terms: Geographic areas
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00719146
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MN-RC-95-13
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 21 1996 12:00AM