IMPACT ON BRITISH COLUMBIA PORTS OF PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE METHOD OF PAYMENT
The Federal Government is conducting final consultations on changes to the Western Grain Transportation Act including method of payment, with a decision expected in early 1995. This study analyzes the potential impact of changes on ports and transportation in British Columbia; identifies the positions held by key stakeholders in the issues; brings the issue into a perspective to support the strategic actions of the B.C. Government; and identifies policy options and the advantages and disadvantages of each. The report describes the background and the context, including recommendations from the Producer Payment Panel and the Efficiency Consultation Report, and proposals from the Alberta Government, international pressure via the General Agreement of Tariffs and Trade, and the Federal Government's current policy. After discussing the potential impacts on B.C. transportation and major stakeholders, possible options are developed.
Transport ConceptVictoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Publication Date: 1994
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: International trade; Payment; Policy; Policy making; Port operations; Tariffs; User charges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Port finance
- Old TRIS Terms: International shipping policies; Method of payment
- Subject Areas: Finance; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00719098
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 9 1996 12:00AM