DESIGN GUIDELINES TO ENHANCE PEDESTRIAN AND TRANSIT INTERACTION
This report represents the first of two documents examining strategies to encourage transit use in Texas and throughout the country. The second report entitled 'Examination of Policies and Programs Supporting Transit Use in Texas', identifies general approaches and implementation techniques to encourage greater use of all types of transit services. This report documents the results of a study examining design treatments that can enhance the comfort, convenience, and safety of transit facilities, and to improve pedestrian and transit interaction. The study identifies the human and environmental elements that should be considered in transit facility designs and provides examples of design features that can be incorporated into different types of transit facilities. The major focus is on transit facilities appropriate in small communities and rural areas of Texas. These include bus stops, passenger shelters, and bus stations and centers. Other facilities such as light rail transit and commuter rail stations, park-and-ride lots, and intermodal facilities are briefly discussed. A 6 step process for planning and designing transit facilities is presented. The report also outlines other supporting policies and programs that can enhance the design of all types of transit facilities.
- Sponsored by Texas Dept. of Transportation, Austin, Office of Research and Technology Transfer. Also pub. as Texas Transportation Institute, College Station rept. no RR-1975-1.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Hall, K M
- Turnbull, K F
- Publication Date: 1994-11
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Environmental impacts; Environmental quality; Human factors; Pedestrian safety; Pedestrian vehicle interface; Planning; Public transit; Rail transit facilities
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; I20: Design and Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00719086
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI-7-2975,, TX-94-1975-1
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 7 1996 12:00AM