TEST PROCEDURES FOR CHARACTERIZING DYNAMIC STRESS-STRAIN PROPERTIES OF PAVEMENT MATERIALS
Procedures are described for determining the dynamic modulus of elasticity by the following tests: repeated load triaxial test, complex modulus test, flexural bending test, indirect tensile test, and resonant column method. A simplified, approximate test procedure is given for determining the dynamic modulus for cohesive soils. The laboratory testing procedure, sample preparation and type of equipment for performance of the tests are described. Some of the problems involved in the dynamic testing of highway materials are defined, and procedures which minimize those problems are suggested. Data which have significant effect on pavement performance are considered. These data relate to stress pulse, dynamic moduli, Poisson's ratio, and the type of material. Specimen preparation and compaction processes for compacted cohesive specimens, compacted granular specimens, and compacted asphalt concrete beam specimens are detailed. Also described is the resilience testing of unstabilized soil which will define the resilient characteristics of untreated granular and cohesive soils for conditions that represent a reasonable simulation of in situ state of stress in pavements subjected to moving wheel loads.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0360859X
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1975
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- Transportation Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 162
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0360-859X
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Building materials; Cohesive soils; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Granular soils; Laboratory tests; Modulus of elasticity; Paving; Poisson ratio; Repeated loads; Resilience (Materials); Resonance; Road construction; Samples; Soil compaction; Stresses; Tensile properties; Triaxial shear tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic characteristics
- Old TRIS Terms: Poissons ratio
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00133990
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM