TRANSPORTING THE DISABLED: USING WHEELCHAIRS AS SEATING DEVICES IN MOVING VEHICLES. A LEGISLATIVE STUDY WITH RECOMMENDATIONS
The mobility of disabled individuals utilizing wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility devices has greatly increased due to technological improvements and new laws and regulations that resulted from a better understanding of the abilities and needs of the disabled. This legislative study reviews the federal legislation requiring transportation providers to transport individual in their own wheelchairs. It also discusses the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) implementing regulations for wheelchair lifts as well as occupant protection for individuals utilizing wheelchairs. Additionally, wheelchair standards, the liability issue, and New York's experience with transporting special needs individuals are also covered.
Legislative Commission on Critical Transportation ChoicesNew York State Senate
Albany, NY United States 12247
- Publication Date: 1995-1-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Federal laws; Occupant protection devices; Persons with disabilities; Restraint systems; Safety and security; Transportation safety; Wheelchair lifts; Wheelchairs
- Identifier Terms: Americans with Disabilities Act
- Uncontrolled Terms: Occupant protection
- Old TRIS Terms: Disabled people; Occupant restraint
- Subject Areas: Law; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00716385
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 21 1996 12:00AM