SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS ON URBAN EXPRESSWAYS THE CHICAGO EXAMPLE
This paper addresses two major components of the Kennedy Expressway reconstruction (Chicago) with significant safety impacts: construction staging and constructed roadway safety elements. Construction staging was critical to provide safe travel through the work area. The constructed roadway safety elements include features which upgraded the original Expressway design to current standards and specifications. Design parameters included: (1) No addition of lanes; (2) Constrained right-of-way; (3) Maintenance of high traffic volume and congestion.
Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)Washington, DC United States
- Christo, A M
- 1995 Compendium of Technical Papers. Institute of Transportation Engineers 65th Annual Meeting.
- Location: Denver, CO
- Date: 1995-8-5 to 1995-8-8
- Publication Date: 1995-8
- Pagination: p. 238-242
- TRT Terms: Construction safety; Expressways; Highways; Improvements; Reconstruction
- Geographic Terms: Chicago (Illinois)
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00712616
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 23 1995 12:00AM