IS YOUR STRENGTHENING REALLY NECESSARY?
The Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) has carried out tests on bridges, bridge components and models to identify reserves of strength that could be made use of in assessment. Reserves have been found in a number of masonry arch and short-span non-arch bridges, and some specific details. In some cases the results have led to revised methods of assessment: in others to data or advice that must be used with judgement by the engineer. On occasions in-situ load tests may be used to augment the assessment process. (A) For the covering abstract see IRRD 873097.
Thomas Telford LimitedLondon, United Kingdom
- CULLINGTON, D W
- BEALES, C
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 270-84
- TRT Terms: Arch bridges; Bearing capacity; Bridges; Conferences; Evaluation and assessment; Loads; Masonry construction; Scale models; Strength of materials; Structural models; Test procedures
- ITRD Terms: 3427: Arch bridge; 3085: Bearing capacity; 3455: Bridge; 8525: Conference; 9020: Evaluation (assessment); 5567: Load; 4529: Masonry; 6205: Model (not math); 5544: Strength (mater); 6288: Test method
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 00712432
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Oct 24 1995 12:00AM