AUDITORY ICONS FOR COLLISION-AVOIDANCE WARNINGS
The auditory modality has particular advantages over the visual or haptic for collision-avoidance warnings, including increased reaction times and eyes-free use. It has been argued that "auditory icons," conveying information about system events by analogy with everyday events, can further improve these benefits. To test these assumptions, an experiment was carried out to compare the effects of conventional auditory collision warnings with auditory icon warnings in terms of reaction times and driver preferences.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Graham, R
- HIRST, S J
- Carter, C
- Intelligent Transportation: Serving the User Through Deployment. Proceedings of the 1995 Annual Meeting of ITS America.
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Date: 1995-3-15 to 1995-3-17
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 1057-63
- TRT Terms: Auditory perception; Consumer behavior; Consumer preferences; Crash avoidance systems; Reaction time; Warning systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00711383
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 6 1995 12:00AM