EMPTY TRUCKS' A LUXURY THE NATION CAN'T AFFORD
The solution are discussed that have been proposed for the problem of surplus transportation capacity. Opinion has been expressed, both within and without the freight hauling industry, that the operation of empty trucks could be solved by altering or abandoning the existing regulatory and rate structures; others point out that this would not solve the basic problem - the lack of sufficient industrial output. Rail transportation, with primary emphasis on heavy raw material is hard hit. The ability of rails to move high volumes of freight over great distances at lower cost and fuel, lends validity to the contention for saving rail networks. Opinion is divided between artifically regulating a greater proportion of freight movement to rails, and complete removal of tariff protection to give rails an opportunity to market their competitive advantage. It is pointed out that rail's failure to control the long-haul freight movements has been the result of failure to provide assurance of delivery within a reasonable time with an accepted level of loss or damage. Partial or total deregulation of trucking, loosening regulation of authorities with continued control of rates, and attention to the maze of state regulations regarding permits, fuel taxes, weights and lengths have all been proposed. It is also pointed out, however, that transportation rates must reflect the cost of fuel and other expenses regardless of the mode of transportation involved.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/2244755
HIC CorporationBox W
Newport Beach, CA United States 92663
- Publication Date: 1976-2
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Economics; Freight handling; Freight transportation; Fuels; Licenses; Producers surplus; Railroad transportation; Rates; Raw materials; Regulations; Tariffs; Taxation; Transportation; Trucks; Trucks by weight; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hauling; Surplus
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Law; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00131712
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM